CHANGING TIRE SIZE QUESTION

View previous topic View next topic Go down

CHANGING TIRE SIZE QUESTION

Post by The_Ejaculator on Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:40 pm

I am thinking about changing the tire size to hopefully soften the ride a tad.
Do any of you know what the tolerance is on the awd if I would happen to need my spare?

I am looking at going with 245/60-18 from the 235/60-18. The tire size calculator show's the 245/60-18 to be 1.6% bigger in diameter.
Another option would be 255/55-18. That show's to be .2% smaller.

I hate the thought of haveing a blowout and not being able to drive to the next tire station becouse driveline damage might occure from the spare being slightly different in diameter then the other three.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

The_Ejaculator

Thanks! : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CHANGING TIRE SIZE QUESTION

Post by doeboy on Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:31 pm

Well you should have a slightly better ride, but it all depends on what tire you choose. A 245 tire will be wider and just a tad taller than the 235. I wouldn't worry about the spare tire cause you shouldn't run on it for that long. A 245 tire should give you better grip and launch over the 235 tire.

doeboy

Thanks! : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Ejaculator on Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:21 pm

I do alot of highway driving and at times can be 50 miles or more from the nearest town and that is when I will of course have a tire issue, so  am concerned that might be too far to drive the spare that far if its slightly smaller then the rest?
I havent needed to use the spare in years but still want to be able to use it if something happens.

The_Ejaculator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:33 pm

I just read a couple posts from other forums on the web and it seems to say that you should be safe if you put the different size tire on the rear if you have a FWD or an AWD and put in on the front if you have RWD car.

Also, it's your sidewall and radius you want to look at and not the diameter of the wheel. Going from a 235 to a 245 is only a .2" difference, which will be hardly noticeable at all. The 255/55 tire would put you at .1" smaller than the OEM tires. I hope this helps.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://santafe.motionforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Ejaculator on Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:53 pm

When you said     "235 to a 245 is only a .2" difference, which will be hardly noticeable at all"   are you refering to hardly noticeable on ride difference or the spare not causing a problem if its used?

If its hardly noticeable on ride comfort then it dosent seem worth it to change the size.

I really enjoy the santa fe but feel the road imperfections more then I like and was thinking that a little more rubber might help. I think tire brand/model might help also.

The_Ejaculator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:58 pm

It is hardly noticeable as in the tire size difference for having a spare tire. You should not have to worry about riding on it for a prolong amount of time.

When it comes to ride comfort the 245 tire will be wider, which means more tire is in contact on the road. It helps with grip, turning and launch. The right tire brand is also a key factor on finding one that rides better than the one you have on right now. It's not always about the size of the tire. The tread pattern and side walls play a big factor on how a car rides.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://santafe.motionforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Ejaculator on Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Thanks for the info.

The_Ejaculator

View user profile

Back to top Go down